Ten reasons to read to your kids everyday!
Reading with your children is one of the best ways to help them learn and grow. A good book, read by a loving parent, can become a cherished part of your child’s life. In fact reading is not only great for learning and for growth, it is a great way to get kids engaged and excited about life!
I love the quote by Victor Hugo, “To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark.”
– Victor Hugo.
It’s true, reading is the door to the imagination, it can lead to so many wonderful things. Stories are fun, exciting and allow children to dive into a whole new world. Children’s imaginations are truly limitless, and it’s up to us as parents to fuel that fire!
A little bit of time spent on reading each day will add up over the years, your children will soon be on their way to being life long readers. With that said, here are ten reasons to read to your children.
Here are 10 reasons why reading with your kids is important!
1. Reading is good for their brains! Studies have shown that kids who are read to at an early age develop bigger vocabularies, better reading comprehension skills and higher literacy rates.
2. It’s a great way to bond with them. Whether you’re reading or just talking, you’re spending time together. Spending time with kids is super important and can help you grow closer and feel happier.
3. You have the ability to read at your child’s level. When you sit down with a book, you have the chance to adjust the reading level so that it is always challenging for your child, but not too difficult or boring.
4. You know what books they like! Your child will turn to you for recommendations on what to read next. You can help guide them and support them as they improve their reading skills and broaden their interests.
5. Reading is calming and relaxing. A great book can calm your child down after a stressful day or help him/her fall asleep at night. Just 15 minutes of reading before bedtime gives you the chance to bond with your child, share one more story together, relax, and end the day on a positive note
5. It helps them with reading. Children who are exposed to books at an early age have a lifelong love of reading—which is so important! You never know what interests a book with spark and where the story may lead.
6. They’ll learn new words. When your kids start learning to read, they are learning new words. You can help them learn by pointing out things in the book and explaining the meanings of new words.
7. They’ll get ahead of their classmates. If you have a young child, reading with them now could give them an early advantage over other kids when it comes time to learn to read!
8. Reading with your child is “home schooling” they need. If you are looking for a way to teach your kids at home, reading them stories is an easy option that can bring many benefits to their mind, body and soul!
9. Reading books about history is great for helping your child understand the world around them. You can help children to be accepting of others, to be non judgemental and understand that there are always different perspectives.
10. Reading to children can be really fun. You can read traditional stories, funny books, scary books and even silly books. Your imagination is the only limit to what you can share with your young ones!
Fantastic Books To Read With Kids
So you’re ready to read with your little ones but where do you begin? How do you source your books and what books will you choose?
Here are some quick tips to help get you started.
Look For Your Favorite Books
You may want to begin by sharing one of your own favorite childhood story books. You can look for old favorites at a bookshop, in charity shops or by simply looking for kids books online.
Visit The Library With Kids
Going to the library to choose books can be fun and exciting. Allowing children to pick out their own books promotes independence and helps them develop decision making skills and build up their self-confidence.
Explore New Books With The Kids
Ask your child which books they like and then go from there. It’s a good way to spend some time together looking at the pictures in different books and sharing stories that you may not have heard before.
Read Along To Youtube Stories
There are many wonderful youtube channels that have created amazing stories. If you have a computer, phone or tablet around, these can be an easy way to enjoy great books with your kids!
And Don’t Forget Book Based Activities
If your child has a special book they love, you might want to extend their interest and learning with fun and simple activities. Interest based learning and play is a great way to help your little one grow and develop essential skills whilst having fun.
Some activities you might want to try could be:
- Creating story spoons with different book characters on them.
- Painting a character from your child’s favorite story book.
- Making finger puppets to act out a story.
- Baking cupcakes using the theme of a story.
There are so many reasons to read with kids ! And the benefits are enormous. It is not only an enjoyable experience but it is one that will last a lifetime. Simple activities can help extend childrens’ learning, imagination and creativity. Most importantly reading with your child develops their language skills , love of books, attention span and memory .
reasons to read to your kids regular
The best time to read to kids is at bedtime or before naps. It’s the perfect way to end the day; tucking them into bed with one more story before they drift off to sleep!
There are so many positive aspects to reading with kids! Reading with your child is a selfless act that can change their lives forever, whether you’re reading the same book over again or trying something new. The benefits are endless!
Give reading time to your kids now so they have the best possible start in life.
Leave a Reply