As many parents know, children are learning to read earlier and earlier. Give them a jump start with this fun Color Matching Popsicles Craft where kids can learn their colors and color words at the same time!
For boys who love dinosaurs, check out our Dinosaur Color Matching Mats!
I am an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
What’s Needed for Color Matching Popsicles Craft
- 7 Large Wood Craft Sticks
- 7 Sheets of Foam—red, yellow, orange, green, blue, pink, purple
- Permanent Markers—red, yellow, orange, green, blue, pink, purple, black
- Hot Glue Gun
How to Make this Craft
1. First you need to cut out 2 popsicle shapes from each color of the foam. Make sure the length of these are a little bit longer than half the length of the craft sticks. The size of mine were about 2 ½”X 4”.
2. On one side of each craft stick, color the end with each marker color. I colored up about 2 inches from each end.
3. On the backside of the stick you colored red, use the black marker and write the word red at the end of it. Repeat this step with all the other colored sticks.
4. Now you need to glue together each of the sets of foam popsicle shapes. To do this, start with the red foam popsicles and put a line of hot glue around the edges of one of the pieces. Do Not put a line of glue along the bottom edge! You will keep this open. You can then, Press the other red piece on top of that one so they are glued together. Repeat this with all the foam popsicles.
5. Now you will be able to slide each foam popsicle onto it’s coordinating stick.
6. This fun learning game can be played by laying out the popsicle sticks with the colored side facing up. Put the sticks into the matching colored foam popsicle. For a bit more challenge, lay out the popsicle sticks with the color words face up and put the sticks into the foam popsicles that match their same color word.
7. Easy fun learning craft to make for kids who are practicing colors!
Busy now? Why not pin this fantastic resource for later? Pinning supports my blog and allows me to create more content to help little ones learn. I’m truly grateful for any social shares.
About Angela Milnes
Angela Milnes is a Qualified Early Years Teacher who specialised in Preschool and Kindergarten teaching. She has a wealth of experience teaching young children and is passionate about kids crafts, preschool music and reading with kids. Don’t forget to follow our fun crafts and creative ideas over on Facebook.