Introducing your little one to crabs? Why not make it even more fun and interesting with an art project? This hermit crab craft idea is the perfect one to get started on, and to educate your toddler about this wonderful creature.
To make it better, I’ve also included some fun facts towards the end, which you can share with your child and help expand his knowledge about this animal.
Ready to get started? Scroll down and keep reading.
I am an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Supplies Needed For This Hermit Crab Arts And Crafts Project
You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to get started on this hermit crab project. All you need is these few supplies and that’s it.
- Colored Stock Card
- Black Marker Pen
- Iodised salt
- Watercolor Paints
How To Make A Hermit Crab Using A Template
Download the free hermit crab template.
Print the template using the paper colors listed on each page or use another color combination.
Cut out all of the body pieces and 2 eyes. There will be extra eyes, so you can use them for another hermit crab.
Assemble your hermit crab and glue the pieces together.
Mount the hermit crab on another piece of cardstock.
Painting The Background For Your Crab Art Project
If you’re wanting to create a fun ocean themed art project you may want to paint a watercolor background. Find some blue paint and create your blue ocean background leaving to dry for some time.
Print out and cut out your bubbles and glue to both the Hermit crab and bubbles to the blue watercolor background!
Your Hermit crab art is now ready. You can make this with the kids or use a selection of ocean creatures found here on Craft Play Learn to create an ocean themed display for the home or classroom.
Fun Facts About Hermit Crabs
And as promised, here’s a little fun fact file about hermit crabs to help you make the experience even better momma!
- Hermit crabs are popular household pets.
- There are around 500 different types of hermit crabs.
- They can be as small as half an inch or as long as 16 inches.
- Hermit crabs are green, yellow, brown or red colored.
- These crabs typically live between 12-70 years.
- Hermit crabs have 10 legs and 2 large claws.
- These crabs use abandoned shells of sea creatures to protect their soft bodies from danger.
- They have a soft abdomen.
- The left claw of the hermit crab is larger than the right one, and it helps protect it from any predators.
Ready to get started on this awesome craft? Download the free template you’ll need using the quick link below.
Download Your Free Hermit Crab Template Here
You can also get the bubbles template here! And if you’re looking for some more fun and interesting ocean themed activities for your toddler, here’s a list of some of my favorite ones.
- Ocean Themed Elmer’s Slime Recipe
- DIY Crab and Ocean Craft for Kids
- 21 Crafty Crab Ideas for Kids
- Fun Crab Craft for Kids & Preschoolers
- DIY Seashell Turtle Craft
Don’t forget to check out more ocean themed crafts here on Craft, Play Learn! We have plenty to choose from and I’m sure you will love them!
- Seaturtle Craft
- Giant Squid Craft
- Betta Fish Craft For Kids
- Hammer Head Shark Craft
- Puffer Fish Craft
- Angler Fish Craft
- Hermit Crab Crab
- Easy Crab Craft
- Fish Art Craft Project For Kids
- Seahorse Craft For Preschoolers
- Easy Clownfish Craft for Kids
- Swordfish Craft for Kids to Make
Busy now? Why not pin this fantastic resource for later? Pinning supports my blog and allows me to create more content to help little ones learn. I’m truly grateful for any social shares.
About Angela Milnes
Angela Milnes is a Qualified Early Years Teacher who specialised in Preschool and Kindergarten teaching. She has a wealth of experience teaching young children and is passionate about kids crafts, preschool music and reading with kids. Don’t forget to follow our fun crafts and creative ideas over on Facebook.